In 1801, the Population of Barton was 1709; in 1812, it was 2204; in 1818, 2700; in 1841, it was 3466. 1n 1851, when the last census was taken, it numbered 3866, of which 1830 were males, and 2036 females; exceeding the total population of the neighbouring villages of Ulceby, Wootton, Thornton, Ferriby, Horkstow, Saxby, and Bonby; and showing an increase of 2157 in fifty years, and 400 during the last ten years. The number of Houses in 1841 was 826, and in 1851 there were 894, showing an increase of 68 houses in the ten years.
In 1736, eighty-three acres of land in Barton were sold for £300, being at the rate of £3 11s. 1d. per acre: £75 is now the average price.
Barton is assessed to the relief of the poor in the sum of £13061 15s; in 1822, the rateable value was £4254 10s. and in 1833, it was £4417 17s. 6d. Last year £831 was expended on account of the highways, and £3000 on account of the Poor.
The Property and Income Tax assessment is over £20,000.
216 persons in the town are qualified to vote for county members.
The Gas Works were erected in 1840, and cost upwards of £3000, including site (1887 square yards,) plant, mains, street lamps, and incidental expenses. Considerable extensions and improvements have been since made; in the present year the retort-house and other buildings have been enlarged, and a new gas-holder put down, to hold 35,000 cubic feet. The consumption has more than trebled since 1852; there are 210 private consumers, and 67 public lamps.