The Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1816, and cost upwards of £1500; it was considerably enlarged, and Sunday school room, &c., built in 1839, costing more than £1500, and an organ was put in by private subscription, by Mr. Postill, of York; the number of sittings is nearly 800. The Day-schools were built in 1845, and enlarged five years afterwards; about 200 scholars attend. The Independent chapel was erected in 1806, the Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1838, and the Catholic chapel in 1840.
The total number of scholars attending Sunday schools in Barton is 538, under the care of 99 teachers. Of these, 111 scholars, 13 teachers, attend the Church; 80 scholars, 15 teachers, the Independent chapel; 130 scholars, 27 teachers, the Primitive chapel; and 217 scholars, 44 teachers, the Wesleyan chapel.
The National School was built in 1844, at a cost of upwards £1000. Of this sum, £300 were granted by the Privy Council, £250 by the National Society, £25 by her Majesty's Commissioners of Woods and Forests, and £25 by the Lincoln Diocesan Board of Education, the residue was supplied by the contributions of the inhabitants and others interested in the education of the poor. The school buildings consist of a room for 150 boys, one for 150 girls, and another for 100 infants. The infant school has been for some years closed. The church Sunday school is held in this building.