From the ferry we walk by the side of the drain towards the town: it mainly consists of narrow, short, irregular streets, in which there has been little alteration made for a long period. Green shrubs and trees mix pleasantly with the houses, some of which are modern and very pretty, whilst others are very old. The Market-place contains some good shops and a handsome inn, "The George." Beyond this area, a lofty mill stands on one side the street, (Barton has several good mills.)
Further on is a raised enclosure, with fine thick elm and walnut trees; this is Bardney Hall, a very ancient house, once, we believe, a monastery.
In 1784, a society was entered into by the inhabitants to secure relief for themselves and their relatives in sickness and old age.
There are now 140 members. A Masonic Lodge, St. Matthew's, No. 408, the earliest established in the county, is held at the George Inn. There are no particular winter assemblies held, and the only Music Society is one of young persons, who among themselves pay a master. The Theatre is only a barn, but neatly fitted up, which Mr. Smedley, an old veteran in theatrical service among the market towns of Lincolnshire, opens once in two years, in June.