In 1730, an extensive Fire occurred at Barton, burning to the ground the houses and property on the south side of the Market-place. Damage was done to the amount of about £700, and a subscription was raised for the benefit of the sufferers. So great was the liberality displayed, that the writer of the account quaintly observes "many of the sufferers were better off after the fire than they were before."
In 1762, the weather was so violent that several vessels were lost in the Humber, and so severe that two men were starved to death near the town. In the following year much damage was occasioned by a flood. In 1768, an unusually severe storm occurred, and another in 1817. In 1821 the cold was so severe, that a vagrant, who carried a weary companion on the road, on reaching Beacon tree, discovered that he was starved to death.
The act of parliament for making the turnpike-road from Barton Waterside to Riseholme Hedge was passed in 1765. Beacon Hill, 2 miles from the Waterside, is 150 feet above the level of the Market-place.
The St. Matthew's Lodge, No. 488, of Freemasons, vas established at Barton, in 1787, and was at that time the only lodge in the county. In a list printed in 1826, are the names of 107 members.
Nearly fifty years ago a man was indicted at Lincoln assizes for stealing a horse in the parish of Barton. It was objected there were two parishes in Barton, St. Mary's and St. Peter's, and therefore that the indictment was defective. The judge held the objection valid, and the man was acquitted. Strange, that the doubtful division of Barton into two parishes once saved a man's life, for horse-stealing was then punishable with hanging.